Thursday, September 04, 2014

Plots, Naughts, and Connect the Dots

Ok, so I want to get this out of the way first. There are no naughts in this post. I just liked the rhyme.

When I had my idea for my first stage play, I started with a few points that I wanted to hit in the story. Actually, I started with a concept and built story points, conversations, scenes, and snippets of dialogue. Then, because I kept thinking up new ideas, I put those ideas in a vague chronological order.

So I had a bunch of scenes and conversations that I knew fell somewhere in the timeline. I even knew what order to put them in. I just didn't know what to do with them after that. So I started writing.

For me, this was a learning experience. Writing became a game of connect the dots. I'd write a scene from my idea sheet, and then I'd look to see which scene was next in the timeline. Then I'd just write something to fill that space if I felt like a transition was needed. Sometimes I'd just write the next point. Sometimes there was almost an entire act before I got to the next point.

That was an early form of my outlining process that still helps today. Writing as connect the dots. It helps me to think of it that way.

What are some analogies that help you in writing?

No comments: