Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Sharpening the Myth of Recreational Work

So, this past week I had a friend call my writing "sharpening the saw". This is a reference to Stephen Covey's book The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. In his book Covey says that the seventh habit of effective people is sharpen the saw, or in other words, take care of yourself. Relax, exercise, take some me time. For the record, I think that's a good idea. But it got me thinking. Is that what my writing is? Is it just an activity to do so that I can go about the rest of my life more effectively?

No.

To be fair, my friend's comment came during a conversation in which I said in essence, "If I don't write, I am not effective in other areas of my life." So it does fill the same space as sharpening the saw in at least one way.

But here's where it's different for me.

When I was in school I would sometimes procrastinate an assignment. Ok, I procrastinated most of my assignments. When I would finally finish my assignments I would get the same feeling as when I write. A sense of accomplishment. The feeling of relief that I have completed a task that I've needed to get done. I get the same sense of accomplishment after any good day's work.

Sharpening the saw is generally an activity that clears the mind. A diversion. An enjoyment. My friend's example was video games. A perfect entertainment. It helps him de-stress after work.

And his comment got me thinking about a common misconception of many artistic professions. That it's fun. Easy. A game.

I use to think the same thing. I scheduled myself with a heavy workload and then I gave myself time to write so I could wind down.

When I was studying theater it was the same thing. And it's easy to understand. When you go to watch a play, you are enjoying yourself. When you sit down to read a book, you are escaping. When you sit down and boot up a video game it's fun. It's easy to forget that your enjoyment is the end result of hundreds of hours of hard work.

On top of that, it's easy to assume that writers are taking it easy because they choose to write in their free time. Writing can be cathartic. It can be entertaining. It can be relaxing. But most of the time it's hard work. I don't choose to write in my free time because I need to blow off some steam. I choose to write in my free time because no-one is paying me to do it. I write because I have stories that come to life in my mind, begging me to be set free. I have characters and scenes that fill my thoughts whether I look for them or not. I write because when I don't write, I feel like I am betraying the one good gift I have to offer the world. I write because I have to. But I don't write to sharpen the saw.

So, if you want to be a writer, don't be surprised if no one recognizes the hard work you're doing. It's not their fault. It's a different lifestyle.

And, always remember to take time to sharpen your saw.

No comments: