Monday, November 13, 2006

This post is not about sleep deprevation

Have you ever had one of those days? I mean the type of day that you are just tired, and you don't know why? When everything drags, and you can't stay awake in class, and things just take longer to sense make...er, make sesne...er, sense. Well I can honestly tell you that I have not just had one of those days.

Yes, I am here to tell you that I know exactly why I had trouble staying awake during class (the real amazing thing is that I actually did stay awake). I am sleepy today because I stayed up most of the night two days ago playing a video game. Yes, I am one of those people...but I haven't gone to the meetings yet.

It's always like that though. You don't sleep one night, and then two or three days later you are still freaking out even when you do get enough sleep the next night. Well, I guess I should replace all of the yous in the last few sentences with I, but I won't.

I have heard that your sleep habits today, or tonight, affect your sleepiness for three days. Or in three days. I am starting to believe that. My grandpa (grandpa is a very wise man, although he has a harder time getting around a lot now-a-days he still means a lot to me) on my mother's side once told me that the sleep you get before midnight is much more effective than the sleep you get after. I guess that is how he made it ok to get up early every morning. That, or the fact that he lived on a ranch.

Anyway. I am pretty sure that grandpa was right. You should always listen to your elders. I...even if you don't do what they say, they usually know enough that they are worth listening to anyway.

I have my own little theory though. I think that our bodies work on a schedule. In effect, an adequate and regular sleep schedule does more to affect our sleepiness than anything else. At least for me. I find that I can easily train myself to wake up early, if I do it for a long enough time. I usually don't even get tired during the day when I do. But when I start to wake myself up, or go to sleep at the wrong times, then I really feel it.

Of course, I am generally sleepy anyway. I fell asleep in class all throughout high school. I sleep sitting up. I sleep lying down. I have even slept while marching...now that is a good Air force training camp story. So, my theories about why other people get sleepy are not even theories. Not in the scientific method sense of the word anyway. They are more like conjectures.

But I think you get the picture.