Tuesday, April 17, 2007

IDEA Improvement Act

Have you ever felt like a fraud? Sometimes I do. I go to family functions, and I go to parties and people ask me, "What do you do?" I inevitably get around to saying, "I'm a writer."

That's pretty painful for me to say, because I'm not writing. Oh, I write little stories here or there, but what have I really done? However, Saying that I am a writer becomes especially poignant for me when I actually write something. Because when I write the possibilities just jump out at me. I sit down and type out a few words and I can see the end of the story. I can feel the characters begging me to write more. They just want someone to hear them, they just want their story to be told.

And I sit at my computer and I write. I come alive with hope. My mind surges with possibilities. Life seems worthwhile when I'm writing.

And then I stop. I get so involved with school and looking for money so that I can eat that I forget. I forget what it means to write. To truly be alive.

And when I go home to my family I become lethargic and grumpy. I try to share my feelings, but my mouth doesn't work. My fingers know how to talk, but my voice shrinks at the task.

But I show my love to them as much as I can. And then I finally get a chance to write and instead of sleeping, playing a video game, or anything else that I can possible do to avoide it I actually write. And I come alive again. And my family seems more wonderful, and my life feels happier, and even when I struggle to tell a story my finger feel content with the role that we have been called to play in this great story.

I love my family. I take joy in my friends. I bask in the lovely glow of life. I praise the opportunities that my life affords. But when all is said and done: I write!

3 comments:

kickenchica said...

I can't believe it! This is how I feel. I cant say crap to express myself, but when I write I am a free bird. I also dont think not being published makes you a fraud...a donut is still a donut with out the glaze!
I added you as a link on my blog I hope you dont mind, If you do, let me know and I will remove it.

Derrick Duncan said...

Not at all. Thank's for the encouragement.

Richard Chamberlain said...

We are what we say we are. It does not matter what you have done, it only matters where you are going. If you say that you are a writer and you write, then you are what you profess to be. It is when you do not take action on your dreams that you become a hypocrite. If you say you are a writer and you do not write, then you are deceiving yourself and others. The same principle can be applied to everything in life. Most especially it can be applied to religion. If you claim to be a Christian but do not follow and do the things that Christ taught and did, then you are not really a Christian. If you find that you have strayed from your path, that is good, because recognition is the first step to recovery. Once you realize you are off the path, you can realign yourself. Today, it looks like you were able to realign yourself as you proved your profession as a writer once again with yet another blog. Congratulations.