Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Hunt and Peck

I have a dirty little secret. A confession, if you will. And my confession is this: I didn't even tell my kids about the Easter bunny this year. They don't even know that he exists. No eggs, no hunts, no chocolate. Nothing. My wife did decorate the house, but she always does that so the kids didn't suspect a thing.

I did feel a little bad, so we brought out the movie "Superman Returns" which we bought in a package deal with a "Justice League" cartoon. And I took a few minutes to illuminate the Christ parable in the character of Superman. Which becomes especially poignant in "Superman Returns" what with his death and return, and people calling to him for help every night. He even says that people need a savior. Now you may not think of it that way, and Bryan Singer may not have thought of it that way, but Superman is a "Christ" figure, or a "God" figure if you will. Any story in the traditional sense that we tell revolves around the basic points that mythological stories that have popped up in any given culture. Especially when we make a character superhuman. And I happen to believe that the myth of Christ is a true myth.

You may thing that's an oxymoron, but I assure you it's not. If you don't believe me, look here. Myths don't have a "determinable basis of fact or a natural explanation", but that doesn't mean that a myth can't be true. I guess that for me, then, it would be history.

Speaking of myths, I couldn't really get myself to further the one about the Easter bunny. What is it with eggs and bunnies anyway. I guess they symbolize fertility and it's an especially topical symbol what with spring and all. But so what, bunnies have sex and make more bunnies. They don't lay eggs. Those come from chickens or other fowl. I want my kids to grow up and have families and produce offspring, but I don't need to start them on that kick yet do I? And by the way, if this is a Christian holiday, what does the Easter bunny making more little bunnies have to do with Christ's Resurrection? I think that if we are going to create something to celebrate Superman is much nearer to the reason for the holiday.

Now maybe next year I'll tell the kids that Superman hid the eggs.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I'm with you on the bunny thing. Our kids had baskets, but when Scud asked me if the easter bunny brought them I told him no. I did. There is no easter bunny.

Richard Chamberlain said...

I like the easter bunny. He is quite tasty, especially in a soup with lots of pepper and other herbs and spices. He is also really tasty when they make him out of chocolate and fill him with caramel. Mmmmm... I can just taste him now!!!

I think that the eggs could symbolize the newness of life. But baby chicks are born, not reborn. Easter is about the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Bunny, eggs, and candies are all tasty, but I agree that they are all poor symbols of what this "holy day" is actually in remembrance of.