Tuesday, December 02, 2008

I'm Back!

Well, this last small bit of time has been, well, tedious. I have to say that school is difficult and time consuming. However, it should be well worth the effort...as soon as I find a job. Wait a minute. Finding a job would give the false impression that I am actively looking for a job. I am not actively looking. It seems that I am involved in more of a passive process currently. Now, I am all for the earning of money (and even, it seems, for the using of passive voice). I'm even for spending money. Shoot, I would like to believe that some day I will be doing both. But I have made a discovery. Well, not so much of a discovery as a collapsing acquiescence to my conscience and all the other pieces and forces that make up the part of me that is writer.

It's true, I took my sabbatical. I sat around the counting house of sanity. And when I had taken account (or "a count") of all of my good reasons, my thoughts, and my practicality I came to the conclusion that I didn't need them. Oh, yes, I languished in the false hope of being practical. It was painful, as it always is, and I decided (against my good judgement who is incidentally locked up somewhere in my closet underneath my trombone from high school and my family kilt both of which I am more likely to take up again) to take a little chance on myself.

I recently came into some money. And by "came into" I mean cashed in some savings bonds. And by "money" I mean money (Huh, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar after all. Thanks Freud.). Since I am currently unemployed, and since most school districts are not likely to hire a Drama/German teacher in the middle of the school year. Now, I must point out here that most school districts are not likely to hire a Drama/German teacher at the beginning of a school year either, but the odds are better there. Back to what I was or wasn't really talking about. I came into some money. And I don't think I have to tell you what I mean by that again, do I?

So, I'm paying myself by the hour to write. This money, which was mine in the first place, is now to become my paychecks which will turn into rent, food, candy, and toys; perhaps not in that order. And here is my reasoning:

Out there in the world, there are a number of employers ready and willing to depart with a small portion of their money to pay me (at minimum wage) to do something that I hate. Now, I don't hate doing things that I hate, and I think that we should all do something that we don't want to every few days or so (I believe that sentiment comes somewhere from the direction of Samuel Clemens...or maybe Mark Twain), but I've been doing that for money for the greater part of the last decade. I thought that this time I would turn the tables and do something that I love for money and I'll do things that I hate for free. The only difference here is that the money that I'm paying myself is already my own money. I guess that makes me the business owner, manager, boss, and grunt all in one. But the crux of my argument lies in the fact that money continues to motivate people to work even when they would rather do something else. Since I have the time to dedicate, and I have a meager capital investment (albeit from myself) I will pay myself to write. And if I don't write, then I don't have a place to live. In an of itself, that's not such a bad thing. But I would never forgive myself for kicking my wife and children out onto the street. Talk about motivation. Go on...find someone. Talk about motivation. The subject of motivation provides ample substance for conversation. I'll wait....

...
...
...

You didn't, did you? Well, either way, I think that I have found some. And now that I'm done with school (yes, all 8 year for a bachelor's degree). I can spend some of my time writing. Oh, don't kid yourselves. I'm paying myself for writing. I'm paying myself for all writing. I need practice, so I'm paying myself for writing recipes if I have to, but I will write. That means that I am paying myself for writing this blog. That's right. I am getting paid to blog. So I'm back. I can finally justify spending time to do what I love, so I'm doing it. This is the first ever blog of mine that has earned me cold hard cash (Well, in the sense that I could have the cash in my hand if I wanted even though I really keep it all in bank accounts and spend most of it by card, check, or Internet transfer. But It could be cash. If I wanted it to be.).

Maybe that's why this blog is so long...did I mention that I'm paying myself by the hour?

No comments: