Friday, December 26, 2008

This time I mean it

Well, another successful Christmas has come and gone. Thanks to my extended family my children again know what plenty means. Now I feel confident that they would have been satisfied by a small Christmas with just me, my wife, and themselves, but I also understand that getting lots of presents is important to children. I still like it. But it may be difficult to keep up this level of gift giving when my kids aren't the only grand children on my wife's side.

In other news, there is other news.

My sister in law wrote a lovely poem about her son and how he always keeps his shoes on the wrong feet. She really is talented, and what amazes me more is how fluid the poems seem. It seems as if she thinks in poetry. I guess the best thing I have to compare it to is a musician. Once a harmonica player learns all of the notes and chords so that they become second nature then they are free to express themselves through music. Many people only get to the point where they can express themselves, or play music. A real musician, in my opinion, gains the tools to create and then uses them. In the same way that a musician can express themselves through music once they have the tools, my sister in law has grasped the tools of poetry so well that she can express her every thought through poetry. She is poet. And that's that.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Awwww... Now I am all weepy. Thanks Derrick.

Derrick Duncan said...

I just calls 'em as I sees 'em. Glad you got to see this one.