Saturday, January 07, 2023

Discussion About Sin #1

Over the years I've had quite a few thoughts on sin. What is it? How do we deal with it? Am I guilty of it? Is someone else? What do I do about my own sins? What do I do about someone else's? Does it matter if I sin? Is there such a thing as sin at all?

As a young boy, one of my nephews used the term "Sin Fighter". I'm not exactly sure what that meant to him or what it means to him now. I do know that this title has taken on meaning for me. My brother created a Facebook group dedicated to title, and throughout the years the concept has sparked a few discussions. For me, it's become somewhat of a passion. I hope that you'll join me as I look for a way to become a better sin fighter in my own life. And perhaps we can join ranks and fight sin together.

Ultimately, it seems like that's been one of the primary causes of humanity. To eradicate pain and suffering that we cause each other through our actions. There are a number of pitfalls in any pursuit of this kind. Labeling, stigmatizing, misunderstanding, lying, anger, corruption, and secrecy all come to mind. Nearly every organization, cause, or religion that has deemed certain actions as inappropriate has fallen victim to at least one of these pitfalls.

How can we, as fellow human beings, find a way to fight sin and not each other? How can we find a way to eliminate some of the negative actions that are common to human experience, and yet still accord each person the freedom and human dignity that they deserve?

One of the first things I'd like to do is define sin. Rather than use a definition found in a dictionary (though that is useful) I want to get at the heart of what sin is to me.

What is Sin?

I'm starting with this definition of sin: Sin is an action that we perceive as wrong in some way. A sin harms us or others physically, mentally, emotionally, or/and socially.

Not perfect, but enough to get started.

In many definitions, sin is tied to an offense against God, or a higher moral standard. I don't think that's completely wrong, but I think that tying the idea of sin to a particular religion or moral standard may turn some people off to the discussion*. And while I know that not everyone will be interested in this discussion, and I can't avoid offense completely, I do want to be inclusive. I want to invite everyone I can to join in the conversation in hopes that we can also join in the fight.

A survey of religions, moral philosophies, and societies quickly reveals that in general, humans believe that we can do "wrong" things. While some philosophies seem to posit that we can do no wrong, I haven't found any of those compelling. Moral relativism is one philosophy that springs to mind. I've encountered it in this way: good and evil are completely subjective. You may do something and call it evil while I call it good. Or you may do something good while I call it evil. Our point of view is what gives the action value.

I think there's some value to recognizing point of view, but strict moral relativism (the idea that anything you do is ok as long as you believe that it is.) seems extreme. A better way to describe my view is that personal understanding of right vs. wrong can affect how you feel about your actions. And how you feel about your actions definitely has an impact on how you deal with the results. But I don't think that I can picture someone who completely believes that whatever anyone does is ok. Especially if that person has to interact with others (the old, "Your freedom to swing your fist ends at the beginning of my nose." idea).

I'll talk about a few more that I find interesting as this thread develops. For the next step, I think I'll review some views on sin from around the world.

This post feels like a stumbling step forward on a journey. But as George once said, "You have to take a first step before you can take a second."

"Who is George?" you may ask.

That, my friends, is now a part of the mystery. 

*Though my own religious convictions are heavily influenced by my upbringing and membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, I hope to find a common ground that people with many different backgrounds and belief systems can join in a fight to make the world a better place. While my own views of this goal center on Jesus Christ, I acknowledge that not everyone will agree with me on that. Hopefully I can explore the topic in a way that will be useful to many.

No comments: