Thursday, October 12, 2006

Concinnity \Kuhn-SIN-uh-tee\

For all you who wonder what the title of this blog means, it seems to be the opposite of what my blog is all about. This blog page lacks concinnity. That is, it lacks internal harmony. I guess that's not quite true. So far my postings (all two) have been completely random. In that sense, there is definitely concinnity in my work. However, I don't plan on it being ever thus. Sometimes I may actually write something depressing, or even something topical or useful.
You may wonder at the title, and especially the pronunciation guide next to it. Well, let me esplain. I am a current subscriber to the Dictionary.com word of the day mailing list. I get numerous words mailed directly to me; definitions and all. It is really a great way to increase vocabulary. I currently have a total of fifty six words in my gmail account. I can keep them all because gmail offers a large amount of storage space, and any of you who wish to utilize the wonders of said email service, let me know and I will happily invite you.
Now where was I? Oh, yes. Concinnity. I currently have a big number of words with definitions sitting in my email account. Sans usefulness. Most of you know that when we go to school we generally retain about twenty percent of what is taught. Unless of course you love the subject, and then you will take lots of classes and your twenty percent will be bigger than my current twenty percent of all the math classes that I have taken. This leads me to question the ultimate purpose of our public education system.
If we are bound to forget eighty percent of what we are taught, why do we force students to struggle for so long with information that they will never remember? Schools tend to lean toward shaping children into citizens that can function within our narrow view of society. Fit us in the cubicle and we won't know that there is anything beyond it. It seems to me that schools should focus on teaching children how to learn, thus increasing the retention rate, and then helping expose students to a wide array of knowledge that they can pick through and assimilate into their desired focus. Admittedly younger students won't know right off what their focus is, and it is our duty to help them find it. But the process of learning anything, when we understand the true purpose of learning, expands our mind and allows us to apply ourselves and our unique schema to whatever task we put ourselves to.
I will most likely never create a new form of protien that helps us to strengthen our natural immune system. But I don't feel like my time studying biology is a waste. However I must admit that I have retained little of the acutal knowledge, and only remember the theories that excited my interest heavily.
Ah, where was I? Oh, yes. I subscribe to the word of the day email list from dictionary.com. But without using the words that I find there, I will lose them from my memory. Probably faster than the rate of students in our public schools.
Now, I don't mean to use these words helter skelter.

Me- "Concinnity. Concinnity is the word that you want me to use in a sentence. Concinnity."
Judge- "Very good. That is the best use of this particular word that I could think of."

No. That would leave me feeling completely out of harmony with the intent of reading these words. Concinnityless if you will. Of course that leads me to making up words which only our dear friend Billiam Shakespeare could accomplish with impunity.
On that note, and with that literary faux pas, I leave you today. Adieu.

2 comments:

Richard Chamberlain said...

God used concinnity to put this universe together.

Dictionary.com is fine. I like Webster.com. Easier yet is the Apple Oxford American Dictionary widget that pops up when I click on my Dashboard key.

Derrick Duncan said...

Yeah, but I don't have dashboard yet. Maybe one day.