Friday, October 13, 2006

Gifts

I recently took up drawing again. When I was younger I loved to draw. I loved my art classes, but we just never had enough....drive? Yeah, I'm one of those gifted people. So I get the basics of just about anything I study fairly quickly. I say gifted, but I might as well say challenged.
Yeah, drawing is fun. I recently drew a self portrait. I celebrated because it looked like a person, and it almost looked like me. I drew it when I was sitting under the stage during a presentation of the play, "The importance of being Earnest." Now there is a discussion just waiting to happen.
Theatre, like art, seems to draw me. But there is always the question. How do I earn a living? Well by hard work of course. How many of you have seen the movie...never mind, I forgot the title.
Starving artists. Hmmmm. Would you rather be rich and happy, or starving and happy? Most people would have written Rich and miserable, or starving and happy, but I just don't think that there's a real choice there. I would much rather be rich and happy, or starving and happy. Actually, I don't want to be starving, but if the happy is there I could bear it. Same with the rich thing. I just don't think I could hande being rich and miserable. I would much rather be rich and happy.
Have you ever read the book Les Miserables? I haven't, but that word miserable is in the title, so maybe I will. I hear it is a good one.
Speaking of books, I am listening to Isaac Asimov's Foundation on tape. It is pretty good so far. But it begs the question, "Is listening to books on tape really reading?" I am here once and for all to answer that with a firm maybe. I think that we should all read books. I just re-discovered that I like reading. I had forgotten. Did you know that you can be just as happy doing a job that you hate as when you are reading a book that you love? It's true. I won't go into just how it is done, but it has to do with breathing and living and that sort of thing. But back to Foundation. It is a good book so far.
The main character is a man named...I forgot, but he is a mathematician. In fact, the whole premise is that mathemeticians and statisticians are able to predict the future. And I guess that it is possible. They calculate what is possible and then act on it. I admit, I am oversimplifying, but the other things just seem extraneous.
Now that's a fun word. I can also use it another way. If you are my little sister and you want to squirt your sqirt gun at me you can safely do so from the house because I can't shoot you. My extraneous source of water would get all over the interior of the house and then you could yell, "Don't get water in the house!"
In fact, if you are my younger sister you have already done this. Thanks for providing the example Sis.

2 comments:

Richard Chamberlain said...

Sisters are very helpful that way. Especially only sisters. We have no extraneous sisters in our family.

I notice that your thought process seems to suffer from the same tangential drift that mine does. That is both good and bad. Makes it hard to concentrate and even harder to write coherently.

Derrick Duncan said...

My thought tangents seem to suffer from a thought process trying to tie them down. If only I could stop thinking. :)