Monday, October 16, 2006

Who ever heard of tchotchke?

Today I had a little insight. And this may be the most sexist thing ever, but I figured out why I must have the final say in my home.

I have a duty to provide for my family. Some people view that as a simple, "I must bring home the bacon." I just realized that it is a little different. I have a home, and with my wife we have a set of values that we want our family to learn. We are a religious family, even LDS, so we have a strong view of the after life and God's relationship to us.

As I said, I have a duty to provide. I don't just provide food and shelter, although that is a very important part of my duties. I need to provide an environment where we as a family can reach our full potential. In my belief, God will ask me at the judgement day if I have done this or not. For this reason, I am the one who must have the final say. Because I will be held responsible. Not my wife, not my kids. Me. That means that I have a duty to make sure everything is done, and done right.

That having been said. I don't begin to think that I need to be an evil dictator. I believe heavily in consulting with my wife. In fact, I know that she knows a lot of things that I don't know so I must rely heavily on her. Especially when it comes to raising our kids, since she has a degree in early childhood education and development.

My children also have the freedom to choose their life's direction. I feel that each of us made a promise to God when he sent us here, and we are the only ones who can keep that promise. But I will be held completely responible if I don't provide them with every opportunity to fulfill their commitment to God and live up to their potential.

I may be a dictator, It's my job. I am responible, and though I could not do a good job without the help of my wife and children, it is ultimately up to me. I give my life meaning by serving others, and my family must come first. In this way I fulfill my promise with God. If I leave everything up to my wife then I am not doing my job, even if it is done well.

And that is that.

1 comment:

Richard Chamberlain said...

Amen to that brother. The roles of men and women in modern society have been so skewed as to make them worthless. This can be seen in the decline of our society at large. We see more families breaking apart. With the destruction of family come every other sin, evil, and mis-deed that we can think of. Most of the problems that we have in the world today, or even in our own homes could be solved by having a husband and wife who love each other unconditionally and act accordingly. Good post.