Thursday, October 19, 2006

The life at the end of the tunnel

I have to tell you, I don't get excited all that often. Truly, I'm a stoic kind of guy. Okay, maybe I'm not, but I can play at it to make a point. The point is that I am excited now. "Why?" You may ask. Well I may answer.

I wrote a script one day a few years ago. In fact, that's what made me realize that writing isn't the terrible burden placed upon us by English teachers. Writing can be fun...it can also be terrible agony. Most often it is a mix of the two. But English teachers insist on perpetuating the pain side of writing so that they can keep us from realizing the great joy called creativity in writing. I think that they want to keep it to themselves. It's a great conspiracy really.

Maybe there is even a negative correlation as shown by the graph that is now not appearing on your screen. In fact, I may or may not have done complex and completely accurate statistical studies, analysis, and computations that support this logical and irrefutable conclusion qua a real statistician: The more people that hate writing, the more joy is available to the individuals that know how to derive joy from it.

Those devious English teachers. But they didn't get me. No sir. I found out. I wrote that play, and now I write more. But I digress. That's not so impressive though. A lot of people digress. What makes my digression really impressive is that I digressed from my digression. I could say that I am a master digression. But I won't. I'll just tell you why I am excited.

This little play that I wrote has attracted the attention of a producer. I don't know exactly how since it hasn't been "Around", but I'll accept it. (note: I actually do know how. My friend who is an actor knows the producer and pitched it to them on a whim. however In order to keep the nature of this blog mystical, dramatic, and obscure, I will not include this note except in note form.) So I need to copyright, revise, and reformat my play into a screenplay so that I can jump on this opportunity.

The downside is that I must realize what is really happening. This particular producer is just beginning a production company and is willing to look at any script that comes her way. Little does she know that she will be getting a script of high caliber. I just have to write a new one quickly or she will just get my old script instead.

So, even though I don't (wink, wink) get excited often, I will let myself indulge in the dreaming that inevitably foreshadows huge success and fame. You can't trick me into thinking that the producer will realize the drivelesque quality of my writing. She will see it for what it is not. A masterpiece. I know this because I have seen it happen time and again on my favorite device for completely accurate tutelage, the movie screen.

We'll see if anything comes of it. Until then...or until my next post, whichever comes first, I bid you adieu.

2 comments:

Richard Chamberlain said...

I enjoy your writings. Somewhat distracting, while humorous at the same time. Good luck with the play thing. I think it has great potential.

Derrick Duncan said...

Glad I could be of some use. I will update on the play process as news happens.