Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Auditions

I am pretty much scared witless. I just got an e-mail that there are auditions for the Utah Shakespearian Festival. Well, actually they're auditions for auditions. But I'm gonna do it. I need a resume, and a head shot by this Friday. That's the easy part. The hard part is this. I don't have any Shakespeare monologues memorized. Ha ha. It's funny, because I didn't even know about this and I had the actors nightmare about it. Really.

You've heard about the actor's nightmare. You're on stage and you don't know any of your lines. Well, that's what happened. I was on stage for a Shakespeare thing in my dream and I did well, but then I realized that I had two more monologues to memorize but I didn't have any idea what to say. Really, I had this dream. And then, the next day I found out about these auditions.

Well, I wasn't planning on auditioning, but since I already had the terror that is the actor's nightmare for it I might as well finish the rest of it. Now I need to go practice saying, "To be or not to be..." without looking like a fool. Oh, yeah, and if you have any ideas for monologues, please let me know.

5 comments:

Heather said...

OOH, I'M JEALOUS. I'll flip through my book o' Will to see if i can come up with any ideas. The st. Crispain's day speech from Henry V comes to mind. 'll see about something funny, too.

Derrick Duncan said...

Yeah, I looked at the St. Crispain's day speech as well. And I thought, "Everyone does this." But then I realized that they do it because it is good. So I'll be memorizing as many of the famous monologues as I can.
But for the audition I decided to do Berowne's speech about being in love from "Love's Labors Lost" for this audition because I can do a lot of work on it since I already know it.

Thanks for the idea. I've decided to get as many monologues under my belt as I can...just for fun, if for nothing else.

Richard Chamberlain said...

Most of Hamlets many monologues are quite fun. You can't go wrong with those. Although, the to be or not to be one, while good, is over done. It might be good to show that you know more than just popular William. Good luck!

Heather said...

I was going to suggest that you just couldn't go wrong with any of Biron's speeches in LLL. Which one will you do?

Derrick Duncan said...

It starts "The King he is hunting the deer."

I'll show it to y'all when I come up.