Thursday, February 08, 2007

New posts are fun.

The title to this post, as you english majors may note, is a full and complete sentence. I can even break it down.

Noun = Posts
Adjective = New
Verb = are

And what is fun? Fun is a direct object. That's right, Fun. I don't care what you say, it is. Or maybe it's a subject compliment. In that case are would be a linking verb and ....Oh man. Now I remeber why I never liked English in school. For that matter, I didn't like German either and for the same reason. Man, that grammar stuff is killer.

By the by, I was wondering the other day. No, really I was.

So about grammar, I just realized last night that I don't really know what an adjective is. In my writing group we tried to describe people without using adjectives. (Speaking of my writing group, I just made a website that puts up a little bit of my work. I can't let you see theirs though, because they don't want it up for everyone to see so you need a password.) I couldn't believe how difficult it was to write a description sans adjective.

For example, if you say, "His hair burst from his head full of fire." Well, I guess that works, but ,"The monitor glowed ominously." Dang, that's fine too. I mean it has an adverb, but no adjectives. How about, "The blood red blood pumped through her veins like a bloody mass of nutrients and oxygen carrying oxygen and nutrients to the various parts of her body that needed nutrients and oxygen." Now that's just silly and redundant. Not to mention reduntant too.

So, that's all for today. I hope you learned a little something (Little is an adjective) from my grammar lesson. As for me, I've got to go look up some more grammar sites so that I don't tell anyone else something unintelligent...like you or like that one guy who...I guess I should stop now.

No comments: