Monday, July 09, 2007

I should really get a notebook

So, I was reading an article in either Time, or Newsweek the other day. That other day being a Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, or Monday. I'm counting Monday as an 'other' day even though today is Monday because I read this article quite a few months ago (You know, for some reason I almost put an apostrophe before the s in months to make it plural. Almost in this case means that I did it and then erased it. That's not even close to proper punctuation.). I don't even know for sure if the article I read was in a magazine, but it was an article, and those are the two magazines that I tend to read most when I do read magazines so I feel like I'm safe in referencing them for this article because it is an article that would be in one or both of those magazines. I did however find a similar article on two websites. Here, and Here.

So, the article I read told me to be messy. Now, I'm a pretty neat freak. That means that I'm a neat freak, not that I'm pretty or pretty neat. I guess that the phrase is somewhat misleading. I will probably never use it on accident again.

But I will be messy. Actually, I think that what the article touts most is not becoming obsessed with organization. The saying, "A clean desk is the sign of a sick mind." is true according to this article. But it doesn't say to leave the dishes out gathering mold or leave the toys on the floor so that you trip. The message is a little more practical, at least for me.

One of the biggest things I noticed what the suggestion that filing things away in a file cabinet or drawer could be counter productive to the brain's natural modus operendi. Look at it this way, if you have a stack of notes you may come upon the one you need when you're not thinking about it and because your brain was processing the information you finally solve the problem you didn't even know you were looking for (Corwin from Zelazny's Amber series says it this way, "I usually do my best real thinking when I’m thinking about something else.”) but if you file them away you may never see that note again. Think about the genesis of great discoveries, like penicillin.

I think that I tend to agree to a point. When I get home from a particularly inspirational day I usually have a stack of scrap papers, reciepts, torn up cardboard, and other trash in my pocket because that was the closest piece of paper when I felt the muse strike. I like to leave these notes in a pile, but eventually I go through those notes and organize them or at least make a list about them. Maybe that gives my mind enough time to sort through it all, maybe now.

Speaking of being unorganized, how's this blog go for that category.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Notebook=Gooooood

I actually have two. One big one that I try to keep with my at all times with different sections for my journal, my writing, bill stuff and everyday notes/to do stuff.

The other one is just a small one I keep in my purse with a pen attached to it so I can pull it out at a moment's notice to jot down anything. This has been a godsend as a writer.

Of course, you probably don't carry a purse around with you. So, that might not work.

But you have pockets, right?

Derrick Duncan said...

I've tried carrying a small notebook around with me, but I just haven't gotten one that I could hang on to. I usually end up using it for a class or something.

Maybe it's time to start up again.

Richard Chamberlain said...

My phone allows me to take notes on it. I use it all the time. Great little tool. On my mission I had little notepads that fit in my shirt pocket. You could find something like that and stick it in your pocket.