Wednesday, July 18, 2007

What's the difference between a red head and a terrorist?

So, today I had an epiphany. It seems that I've been working too hard at the wrong things. You see, I am in the lower middle upper class. That is to say, I'm in the upper part of the middle of the lower class according to my income. Maybe even the lower middle middle class. And while I am in school, I can't work as much as I need to meet all my and my family's needs. Because of that, I am eligible for grants and other aid from the government. I'm fine with that, because I plan to make enough when I graduate to help pay other people's way through college. But here's the rub.

I thought to myself, "If I write and sell one of my scripts I will get just enough money to not qualify for the help we're getting, but I won't have a steady job (it takes a long while to get a steady job writing, and payment usually comes in lump sums from what I hear.) That means that I won't be able to survive on what I do make so I'd better just not write because I want to stay in my current financial situation until I graduate from college and begin earning money in my steady teaching job."

I know, it's a mouthful. But I really said all that to myself. And I condensed it here.

Isn't it silly. I decided that it was worth it to hold myself back. Now if that isn't a load of bull, then I don't know what is. Trying to make less money. I haven't even submitted a script yet, no less should I be worrying about how much money I don't want to make. If I get booted out of the 'poverty' tax bracket because I earn some money, then I'll just need to write something else so I can earn more money. I mean I understand taking the aid as I need it in school, but holding myself back so that I don't advance because of it...I was looking for the life of ease that we get from being poor. I think that I can do better than that. I can work hard and get my rear out of that spot that it's been so comfortably occupying as of late. Time to be me again and kick that...well...me in the butt.

Oh, Incidentally, you can negotiate with a terrorist.

2 comments:

kickenchica said...

well it sounds like your saying a terroist cant be a red head? Kinda like a blond cant be smart?
Maybe I was reading too much into your lower middle upper class though.

Richard Chamberlain said...

Money = Freedom
Poverty = Bondage
Happiness does not depend on either.