Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Title Here

The other day it rained like the dickens here. I don't know exactly what that phrase means, but if the dickens rains a lot, then that's what it did here.

It was pretty amazing. I mean I do live in Utah, which pretty much means that I live in a desert (That may not be true for 100% of the state, but at least 75% and if not that, then at least the part where I live.). So, what happens when it rains like crazy in the desert? Warm rain, and Flash floods. Fortunately no one was hurt because there weren't any real floods, but the water on the sides of the road got going fast enough past my apartment complex to sweep my four year old son off his feet. I tell you what, sometimes I am extra grateful for having quick reflexes.

So I was driving home from work and I thought to myself, "I loved playing in the rain when I was a kid. I bet my wife won't tell the kids to go play outside in the rain, so I guess it's up to me." And it was. The very kidness of my kids was at stake here. I mean playing in the gutter and the rain was pivotal in my childhood experiences (That may explain a few things about me). So I called my wife on our handy dandy notebook (Oh wait, that's Blue's Clues) I mean my handy dandy cell phone and told her to get the kids ready to play outside in the rain. I meant shorts, a t-shirt, and some boots, but she thought double layers, rain boots, and a rain hat. She was probably right.

So, I got home and brought my kids out. Oh, it was great (besides the little kid being swept away in the current thing). After the rain slowed down I let them back in the water and we had a grand old time. I've even got pictures somewhere. Maybe I'll post them someday. My kids have played in the swimming pool, sprinklers, a fountain at a park, but I think that this was the first time they've ever experienced playing in the rain. I enjoyed watching them, and they completely enjoyed getting all of their clothes completely soaked, and then they had a bath after. Talk about a great life.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Sounds like fun. I LOVE the rain. It's been threatening to rain here, but hasn't rained for more than a few minutes at at time yet.

Richard Chamberlain said...

I enjoy jumping in rain puddles also. Good clean fun.